Thursday, December 9, 2010

Say No to Candles

Please, do not burn candles.  This past week in Binghamton a grandfather, father and 4 year old girl died in a house fire blamed on unattended candles & no smoke detectors.  Such a tragedy.

I WAS a huge candle person, I always had at least one lit and quite often I would light candles in several rooms - rooms that I was not even in. 

That was then, this is now. . .
Some of you may already know this, but last December I forgot to blow out a candle before going to bed and around 5 am my smoke detector went off.  When my husband went downstairs the candle holder was in flames, the counter top was burned and there the whole downstairs was a cloud of black haze which settled into a fine black soot.  After a while of breathing I could feel that that soot was in my throat and in my nose.

I shutter to think how close we were to having our home on fire!  I no longer will light any candles - it just isn't worth it. I still have some anxiety over what happened, especially when I wake at night.

I know some of those I emailed and showed the candle holder to still use candles - please stop.  A fire could start so quickly and trust me you do not want to go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment